Now you have the chance to support renewable energy resources and reduce your personal impact on the environment.
Duke Energy Progress is partnering with NC GreenPower, a non-profit, statewide organization to bring you two voluntary programs that are part of a statewide effort to improve the environment through the development of "green energy" (electricity generated from renewable resources such as sun, wind, and organic matter) and offering carbon offsets to balance or reduce the impact of greenhouse gas emissions.
Here's how the NC GreenPower programs work:
Participation is completely voluntary, and Duke Energy Progress customers may enroll in one or both of the following programs:
This program helps to turn the electric grid green:
- NC GreenPower contributors help to generate millions of kWh of green electricity annually from renewable resources, such as the sun, wind, and organic matter.
- For every $4 donated, $2 will purchase 50-kilowatt-hours of energy produced from renewable ("green") resources such as solar or wind and $2 will support the installation of solar demonstration projects at NC K-12 schools.
This program helps balance your impact on the environment. Carbon offsets are an easy way to help reduce your carbon footprint and mitigate the effect of greenhouse gas emissions from car and airplane travel.
- For every $4 donated, 1,000 pounds* of carbon dioxide or carbon dioxide equivalent emissions are mitigated. *Increase from 500 pounds effective Aug. 1, 2011.
- Annually, your $4 monthly donation will offset the approximate emissions from a midsized car traveling 15,000 miles. That's the environmental equivalent of planting 923 trees!
About your contribution
- NC GreenPower contributions will be itemized on the customer's monthly statement and appear as an additional charge on their regular electric bill.
- All NC GreenPower contributions are tax deductible to the extent allowed by the law.
While Duke Energy Progress collects customer contributions on behalf of NC GreenPower, Duke Energy Progress does not keep any of the money. All contributions are passed along to NC GreenPower for the continued development of green energy sources.
- Customers who enroll in NC GreenPower but don't pay their contributions will be dropped from the program. This will not affect the customer's regular electrical service.
- You must be a Duke Energy Progress customer in order for us to collect NC GreenPower contributions via your electric bill. If you receive electricity from another utility, you should contact that utility about enrolling in the NC GreenPower Program.
- Customers who would prefer to make a one-time contribution to NC GreenPower - instead of monthly contributions - should send it to NC GreenPower, 909 Capability Drive, Suite 2100, Raleigh, NC 27606 or make a payment online at NC GreenPower For more information, visit www.ncgreenpower.org.