Duke Energy Progress is pleased to offer its South Carolina customers the chance to participate in a voluntary environmental program called the Palmetto Clean Energy (PaCE) Program.
PaCE is an effort by investor-owned utilities to encourage the development of renewable resources that improve the environment through reduced greenhouse gas emissions. PaCE is a non-profit organization created through collaboration among electric utilities, environmentalists, state regulators and energy generators.
Here's how the PaCE Program works:
- Participation is completely voluntary-each electric customer can decide whether he or she wants to join.
- All PaCE contributions are tax deductible.
- Customers who volunteer to participate may enroll in PaCE, a program that allows customers to contribute $4 per month for each 100-kilowatt-hour block of renewable energy.
- The $4 per block monthly fee is added to the customer's regular electric bill. (PaCE retains $1 for its services; $3 is allocated to fund renewable energy premiums to renewable generators that supply energy into the state's power grid.)
- One block of green power is the equivalent of approximately 10 percent of an average home's monthly usage. This block of renewable energy will come from solar, wind and biomass resources.
- PaCE contributions will be itemized on the customer's monthly statement and appear as an additional charge on his or her regular electric bill.
- While Duke Energy Progress collects customer contributions on behalf of PaCE, Duke Energy Progress does not keep any of the money. All contributions are passed along to PaCE for the continued development of green power sources.
- Customers who enroll in PaCE but don't pay their contributions will be dropped from the program. This will not affect the customer's regular electrical service.
- You must be a Duke Energy Progress customer in order for us to collect PaCE contributions via your electric bill. If you receive electricity from another utility, you should contact that utility about enrolling in the PaCE Program.
The PaCE Program will be administered by a board of directors from Duke Energy Progress, Duke Energy, SCE&G, SC Energy Office, and the Office of Regulatory Staff. (http://www.palmettocleanenergy.org)
Customers who would rather make a one-time contribution to PaCE - instead of monthly contributions - should send it to Palmetto Clean Energy, 220 Operation Way, Mail Code PCE, Cayce, SC 29033-3701.
To enroll, customers may:
- Complete the online enrollment form by clicking on the link below
- Call our Customer Service Center toll-free at 1.800.452.2777.